Thursday, September 15, 2011

James Baldwin




I don't have a very regular schedule(good for me), so my sleep patterns are wildly off. But today, I felt pressed to wake up before 7 a.m. To be fair, it wasn't just the book. I couldn't keep my eyes closed anymore. But, I would like to believe that James Baldwin had something to do with it. Especially since the book was the first thing I reached for. Giovanni's Room was so troubling and astoundingly beautiful. Really, I'm wondering how he has escaped me all these years. It's okay though, I have so much to look forward to.

I woke up and finished the last 25 pages quickly. I felt sad reading the last couple paragraphs. I knew it would soon be over and I felt there was so much left to tell. Their story was complex, slightly unfinished and you had to be accepting of it. Baldwin has a way of keeping you there, in those moments where you, the reader, is so involved you are lost without those characters. A sense of loss and fulfillment fused together...

It's after 8 a.m. I'm still thinking about them and their room in Paris.

One more thing. Since blogging is self indulgent(me, me, me), I will be plugging my newest music reviews here and there. I've started to contribute to Impose Magazine. Have a read!

No comments:

Post a Comment